Wednesday, September 10, 2014

I Want My Radio Career Back!

When I quit my radio career back in 2007 when I left Clear Channel Chicago, I walked away from 20 years of struggling to become a great morning personality. I was in Chicago doing overnights on
 V-103 and I did not see myself going anywhere. When I resigned in August of 2007 later in that same week, how was I to know that my mother would be diagnosed with Ovarian cancer. I rushed to be with her back in my home state of North Carolina to be by her side until 2009 when she passed away.

I know it was divine intervention that allowed me to be available to serve my mother in her time of need. So that was not an accident, it was a voice that told me to just go home, so I resigned not knowing. I think it was a Wednesday that I left and it was Saturday when I got the call about her illness. I can't take credit for that kind of insight.

I dibbled and dabbled doing part time stuff, but never on the level I am use to. Also no income. I was living in the house I grew up in, in small town USA.

In 2010 I moved back to Charlotte to work at an independent and spent 3 years at WGIV where I learned to grasp the concept of being a radio entrepenuer. I went to Greensboro in September of 2013 to do Afternoons on WQMG and quit April 30th 2014 cause it did not work for me.

But what I wanted to tell you is that recently I had a conversation with a former top record executive that has been checking out my new media projects (https://soundcloud.com/the-bj-murphy-show/keith-and-bj-show-september-9th-2014) online and  said BJ, "You've got to go back and finish it". Don't let your ego get in the way of you accomplishing your goals. Humble yourself! You and Keith are too good to be on the side lines.

From that conversation, I knew it was time for me to go to work and make my way back to doing the thing that I love doing. Communicating on the radio without boundaries.

You know so many of us have gotten our feelings hurt in the media business because when you get called to the office and they say, "hey we are making a change and you are no longer needed"...it hurts. Sometimes it is the way it is done, that takes some people a long time to get over. Some are more resilliant and bounce right back.

I will admit, I was wandering in the wilderness. "I lost myself"!

But now I am back everybody!

 This is a greater, bolder, more courageous BJ Murphy and I want you to feel inspired by my new found light that was turned on this week!

Never stop believing in yourself. If it is going to happen, you are going be the one to see it through.

I believe in myself again.....So as it was in 1984 when I first cracked the mic at Shaw University in Raleigh NC, so shall it be 30 years later in 2014, when we must begin again to dream and fulfill our destiny in life. I am excited because there are so many possibilities for all of us who are creative people.



No comments:

Eliminate The Fake

In our everyday interaction with other human beings, we must eliminate the fake persona that most of us are comfortable displaying. Being fa...