Tuesday, July 9, 2024

"Why Finding Your True Fans Matters More in Podcasting Than High Downloads"

Don't worry about how many people are going to listen to your podcast. If you want to start one, just do it and say to yourself, "If no one listens to it, it's okay with me." That way, you can go on without any expectations. Just press record and begin your talk. People are too worried about how many people are going to listen to what they have to say. Remember, what you are going to talk about is not ever going to appeal to everybody. You should learn to be fine with that. It is your fear of rejection that is stopping you from recording. Even if you have started a podcast and over the first 10 episodes only 23 people total have listened to you, guess what? Join the club. In 2019, I started a podcast called "The 20 Minute Morning Show" (https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/20-minute-morning-show/id1450014531) that got minimal listens for a long time, and even to this day, it is sporadic. One thing is that I have not been consistent in promoting my podcast, but people are aware of it. So how can I say it is not working if I have not given it my maximum effort to promote it enough for people to discover? If you go through my catalog, I have managed to interview some heavyweight industry people, and it has given me credibility even though I currently do not have a large following. My most listened-to podcast came when we talked about a local issue in Charlotte, NC. Barbershop entrepreneurs Damian and Jermaine Johnson opened one of their signature barbershops in SouthPark Mall, which is the most upscale mall in the city. The management wanted to terminate the lease and kick them out. We did an interview with them, and it made it into the Charlotte Observer (https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article249628383.html). That podcast helped them stay in the mall and stop that injustice that was about to take place. It garnered 1,100 listens in one day! I was like, "Whoa! I'm on my way," but the numbers leveled after that. I should have created some momentum to capitalize on it, but it was a learning lesson. It got me on the map, but nobody knew I did not have high numbers. I have made money with my podcast by creating content for people to share. Quality interviews they can use to market and promote themselves on my platform. When I get really focused on making this podcast more impactful, it will become a major revenue stream for me without a doubt. This is the new radio for sure. It is such an exciting medium to create what you want. No limits, just be interesting to listen to. Speak from the heart on your podcast. It's your real estate. So don't worry about how many listeners you will have. Kevin Kelly wrote an article back in 2008 called "1,000 True Fans Is All You Need." Go find them. Start with 100 true fans for your podcast and grow it over the years until you get to your 1,000 people who really get you. Now that alone is worth doing your podcast idea. Just start. If you need coaching on this, I can help you. Just reach out. Visit my website at www.blackradiotalent.com.

No comments:

Eliminate The Fake

In our everyday interaction with other human beings, we must eliminate the fake persona that most of us are comfortable displaying. Being fa...