Tuesday, April 23, 2024

"Am I a Character or Am I Me?"

When I'm talking on the phone to a friend, do I write out a series of one-liners and jokes to make the conversation interesting, or do I just let it happen naturally? A lot of program directors always tell you to look for the funny in every situation, and you should look for the funny to be a humorous show. Look for the relatable, look for the opportunities to personalize your material on the air. I say yes to all of those, but I have never bought into the fact that a morning show has to be a non-stop contrived laugh track for people to like listening to you. Make them laugh. Yuck, yuck, yuck. I say just be human, just be yourself. Don't try to be who you are not in a conversation. It makes the whole experience very, very goofy and hard to follow. It makes the show disjointed, and the co-host on your show are trying to find their place in the conversation instead of chiming in naturally. Some of the funniest things that happen on radio shows are thoughts that come out of nowhere. You always should know where you want the break to end, but the more people are themselves, the more vulnerable they feel in sharing things they never would share the better the payoff. The more personal you get, the more interesting you become on air. Always remember that.

No comments:

How to Stop Sleepwalking Through Your Radio Career

Here are some questions I want you to answer today about your career: What would you do, if you were fearless in your chosen path in your ...