Friday, April 26, 2024

Produce a News and Opinion Podcast for Your City

Here's a business idea that you can take and run with especially it if nobody is doing this in your city or town. Produce a news and opinion podcast for your city. One of my favorite podcast is The Daily from The New York Times. They started this franchise in 2017 and now have millions of listeners for this daily podcast. In 2019 I began to produce my podcast called the “20 minute Morning Show” which I tried to keep up with the rigors of doing a daily podcast but after maybe 9 months I figured out I could not compete with the New York Times Newsroom with hundreds of reporters contributing daily content, audio engineers and producers and overwhelming production value; that it was just too much to try to duplicate.I kind of scaled things back and tried to figure out what could work for me. So one particular opportunity came up where some friends in Charlotte who have a barber shop franchise called No Grease opened a shop in South Park Mall which is a very ritzy upscale mall in Charlotte North Carolina. There was a controversy about the lease for their store and we found out that the mall wanted that barber shop out of South Park mall. We took action and produced a podcast talking about it.( https://spotifyanchor-web.app.link/e/UxDuhrv36Ib )  It went viral and got into the Charlotte Observer newspaper(Article from 3.2.2021 https://www.charlotteobserver.com/news/business/whats-in-store/article249628383.html?fbclid=IwAR1U-Jm-3GPBL-GFlouo0sOL2j79Bg7Ax8SPCho8Yz5OiCZrfbkOMiitj0A which made South Park Mall back down and actually offer them a new lease. I found the power of podcasting in that moment to say wow you can use this as a tool and cover stories that nobody else in your Market is covering just like on the radio. These are the type of things I use to do on my morning show in Charlotte on Power 98. So take the opportunity to do something that nobody else in your marketplace is doing.  I would do it as often as I could and you create the weekly schedule. Even if you want to be ambitious and try to put something out everyday, if it was three to five minutes it will be a value to the audience in that city. Podcasting is so exciting and you can make a living off of it if you're willing to be patient, because podcasting is indeed the long game in the New Media space. I still have that ambition for putting out a high quality daily news and opinion podcast.(smile)

No comments:

"How to Come Up with 20 or More Original Pieces of Content for Your Show Every Day"

A day in the life of a radio host should be spent scouring for content to talk about. Develop a list of go-to websites for content: News ...